Venturing back into the garden


Spring onions thriving under a cloche
 Last weekend I finally ventured back into the garden as we had the first dry weekend after the cold weather. It does look quite desolate in parts but there are signs of hope. One or two spring bulbs are beginning to poke out of the soil and, unlike last year, all of our delicate perennials have been safely protected with fleece.

But what really caught my eye was that my spring onions are thriving. I sowed them in late October (I chose White Lisbon) and covered them with a Longrow Super Cloche (you can see it in the photo). And that's it - I haven't touched them since.

Now I'm looking forward to taking a few as thinnings within a few weeks and hoping for a good crop later on. A really low-maintenance exercise, really!

Labels: , ,